My own personal experience over the years as a human companion, has allowed me to gain insight into the range of emotions we experience when dealing with the loss of a beloved pet.
As an adult, the first loss of an animal companion shocked me to the core. I was astounded by the depth of my pain not only because I didn't know what to expect but that my love was so deep that I could actually feel that way.
I was certain I would never recover.
In my search to find an answer to my pain, I discovered a little book by Moira Anderson - Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet, now in its third edition. I was surprised and relieved to find that I wasn't alone and what I was experiencing was normal.
I was going to survive.
M.A. - Counseling - Central Michigan University
New Mexico - Professional Mental Health Counselor (LPC) #2373
Training and Professional Experience
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement training for on-line chat room
- Training with the Children's Grief Center
- Ongoing continuing education credits as required for licensure
- Extensive experience in the animal welfare field
- Counseling with people with disabilities and survivors of domestic violence